Thursday, October 12, 2017

Hennepin 50

Hennepin 50 
Sterling, IL to Wyanet, IL (Hennepin Canal State Trail)
3rd Place Overall, 6:51:13

My first 50 miler in the books! The Hennepin 50 caught my eye at the beginning of the year and I knew it'd be a good fit for my first 50. Its flat & fast just like they advertise. Its a unique point to point race in NW Illinois that starts at Sinnissippi Park in Sterling IL and follows the Hennepin Canal State Trail along the Hennepin Canal straight south to Wyanet IL. The day was wet and rainy with a gusty head wind the entire route. The course was actually in really good shape considering all the rain the night before.

Training for this race went decently well. The weeks and months prior I was more focused on and training for the US Trail Half Championships the week before this race. So my training was more geared towards that race with a few 50 mile training runs and workouts in there. None the less I went into the race confident in my ability and felt nice and relaxed. Going into a 50 mile race was a lot different than any other race I prepared for. I felt calm but prepared for what the day had to bring, good or bad. One thing I knew for sure is that DNF'ing was not an option. Whether I felt great of terrible it didn't matter I was going to finish. I did have a couple lofty goals going into the race. I wanted to win and set a new CR. I did in fact go under the old CR but so did two others and they just happened to be faster than me that day.

The Race: 
The race goes off with all distances starting together (50k, 50M, 100M & 100 Relay) all with different color bibs. In the opening miles I got out in fourth place with two relays and one 50 miler ahead of me. I hovered around seven minute mile pace for the first 10 or so. I ended up catching third place around mile nine. I went through 10 miles in roughly 1:10:00. Around mile 11 the eventual winner of the 50 miler and myself moved into 1 2. Between miles 12 and 19 I slowly close the gap on the leader and we ran together for a short while and then he ended up pulling away again. Going through mile 25 was interesting mentally for the fact that you were only halfway done. I went through mile 25 in 2:54:00 and the marathon distance in 3:02. At this point the leader was a couple minutes ahead of me but I could still see him on some sections of the trail. At mile 29 I came across an overpass and noticed that he was walking. So at this point I passed him and continued to move well but was slowing slightly. Mentally it was nice to be in the lead and I just kept thinking to just maintain my pace and keep moving forward. By the mile 32 aid station I was still moving decently well and got to catch a glimpse of my lead. I had a decent lead at this point but my mile average was hovering between 730 and eight minute mile pace but I was still moving forward OK. By mile 36 I really started to feel it. My pace dropped significantly and I started having stomach issues. By mile 40 I was walking. I decided I couldn't just walk so I opted to run 3/4 of a mile and walk a quarter of a mile which seem to work well for a while but at that rate I knew that if the runners behind me were feeling good that they would eventually catch me. At mile 42 roughly the previous leader that I was chasing came back on me and he was looking strong and pulled away relatively quickly. The miles started to get extremely difficult and mentally I was ready to be done. At mile 47 you pass the finish and go on a 5K out and back. I took in some Mountain Dew at this age station and walked out and threw up quite a significant amount of fluid. No wonder I was having stomach problems. One thing that I am proud of that I did was that I was able to run the last 5K on the outing back but unfortunately I got passed at mile 48. At this point I really didn't care all that much I knew that I was going to finish and I just decided to stick with the pace that I was comfortable instead of trying to keep up with him. In some of those closing miles I was also dealing with some sort of tendinitis issue on the outside of my right knee which was frustrating because it would tighten up on me and force me to walk. Hence why I chose the walk run ratio. At the finish line you got to cross a cool canal lock bridge. I was extremely relieved to get to the finish line in my first 50 miler ever. It was a tough day physically and mentally he especially the last 14 miles. I'm proud of myself that I was able to stick with it and keep moving forward because giving up and dropping out was not an option at all for this race one way or another I knew that I was going to finish whether I had to walk it in or crawl it in. The top three males in the 50 miler all ended up going under the previous course record which is pretty cool. Also the race was able to double their attendance from last year which says a lot about this race and the race directors and all the helpers at the aid stations. Mentally like I said the course is rather doll but thankfully the aid stations were a lot of fun and really helpful. The distance itself was completely new to me and in hindsight I know that I went out a little too aggressive. I will take a lot from this race and learn from it and put it to good use for future races. I probably should have stuck around 7 to 715 pace for longer instead of dipping under seven minute mile pace early on to try to close the gap on first place. Overall I'm happy about the day I can't be disappointed in a third place finish in my first 50 miler I have to take it and learn from it and move onto the next one. 
Fueling: 
Vanilla Bean GU (10min prior)
BeetElite 8oz fluid (sip over hr prior)
GU around mile 8
Handheld Nathan bottle was filled w/ Tailwind at certain aid stations.
Cliff Organic Apple/Mango Squeeze 10m ish
EFS Quickshot around 2 hrs.
Another Cliff Organic Apple/Mango Squeeze. I also was taking a salt electrolyte pill every hour. 2 more GUs in there somewhere before mile 36. At aid station 7 mile 32.5 I started taking in cups of Coke and Mountain Dew at the aid stations which eventually all came up at mile 47. After mile 40 nothing would sit well in my stomach especially the GUs.

No comments:

Post a Comment